Wednesday, 24 October 2012

(Not so) Modern Family


I love Modern Family. It is by far my favourite TV show. If I'm not laughing out loud I'm at least grinning.
Nothing is perfect so I have turned a blind eye to the fact that most of the characters are pretty much by the formula.
The women are  both strikingly beautiful, thin and fit. Gloria (Sofia Vergara) has become a sex symbol. They are the typical opposites, a blond and a brunette.

We don't have the equivalent handsome man on the show. But we have the formulated funny characters, The Old Man, The Fat Man, The Ginger and The Clumsy One. 
The women are both stay-at-home-moms even though their kids are pretty grown. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a stay-at-home-mom if that is what one wants. But I'm a little afraid that this position is forced on a lot of women by society. And all these sitcoms with all their stay-at-home-moms validate that as the 'norm' and make it difficult for women to choose otherwise.
Twenty eight years ago Clair Huxtable was a lawyer so I really think of this as a back lash.
But we also have Cam who is a stay-at-home-dad. Cam is my favourite. Even though he is the stereotype of a gay man the show plays with gender roles. He is both feminine and macho.
Gloria is a tough one, good at chess and with a possible murderous side. Claire also has a crazy side.
So all in all I have decided to look past a few faults. Even the one when Claire allowed Phil to win in a jog race. Got on my nerves but I decided to look past it.
Yesterday I watched The Last Walt. And that one got me really annoyed. Cam's dad Merle comes for a visit. Jay and Merle don't get along. OK, that's pretty typical and gives ground for some funny conflicts. Then it comes clear that the problem is that Merle seems to think that Mitch is 'the woman' in the relationship. They talk it out and come to the conclusion that their sons are equal partners.
What the f....
First of all, what does it mean being 'the woman' in the relationship and why is it bad for a man having that part? Yes, why indeed?
Where are the duties of  men and women clapped in stone? Why is it so obviously the 'woman's job' clearing the table?
The conclusion is that Mitch and Cam are equals, probably because they are both men. So a woman and a man can not have an equal partnership? Why is that? Because one of them is a woman and is therefore not equal? Seriously?
So it is OK to be a gay man as long as he is not the woman in the relationship. No, it is OK to be gay. Period.
Maybe two grumpy old men being prejudiced and chauvinist is supposed to be funny but I really don't think so.
I hope this unfortunate submission to patriarchy was an accidental one.


3 comments:

  1. I gave up TV about 10 years ago and have never felt like I missed anything, and of course, ignorance is bliss because as a stay at home mom I had no idea about any of these characters or stereotypes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg YES to all of the above damn it!!!
    Also:Side note- it seems that when Heterosexuality will be fully accepted as it should be, "Normal"... I will find that Lesbians will probably be more under scrutiny due to them not being men.... because once people get over than you are not "less of a man" by having sex with other men, people will look to women as lesser as they always will......*sign*

    I could be wrong, also.... I am sleep deprived (lol, or it could be my ignorance)

    Great article!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't see the sterotype or why there is anything wrong with being a housewife. If you have a good man that can and is willing to provide for you and you don't make a lot of money and have children to raise then why not? Even if they are grown being a parent doesn't stop. They need a full time parent especially when they still live at home and are still growing. Too many women today are proud being a full time employee but don't realize that due to that they are not a full time mom. They can't be both no matter what they say to sell it. While they are getting ready for work, at work, and tired after work that is time lost that they could have been mothering or resting and preparing if their kids are grown and in school. Family is the most important thing in life and in America women are brainwashed to believe by the feminist movement and lazy men that careers and money are more important than children and family and living life.

    ReplyDelete